Tuesday 1 December 2020

Positive Portents, Jack'ern and The Mummers


Right, decorating done, its back to the business of chucking up guff.

The river is in tremendous form, bank high with good flow tickling up the gravels. Not too many redds being kicked up but there’s still time yet. The ditch that feeds up to the field know across the ages as “Spring Bottom” already has water in it and all portents are positive and point towards a reasonable recharge of aquifers this winter. 


Higher water on spawning gravel reduces the impact of “Jack'Ern” spiteful stabbings, which is a tremendous thing, as they can do a lot of damage in low water with their indiscriminate sword work. Numbers of little egret always increase at this time of the year, and we’ve already three or four regulars. Cormorant numbers are also on the rise, although all sighted have been passing through and not pausing to fish this stretch of river or the pond. 


 Trees are still being attended to, with Lord Ludg and The English mustered as wingmen. Into the river this week to give battle with the forces of crack willow that have put on six feet of growth this summer. The riverbank might be a bit spongy in a few months time and not accessible by tractor, so the saws’ attention has been hastily drawn to bankside work with a controlled retreat to the wood planned for January/February. 

 Oh wait a mo, the jungle’s on, I’ll be back in a bit. 

 It’s a shame they couldn’t claim their annual beano to Brisbane, but it seems to have worked out well in Wales. 

 If it is Wales. 

 In my youth I hiked, yomped, camped, canoed and fished in the area that they claim the castle to be in but I can’t for the life of me place the thing. 


 Maybe it’s a new build, as a brief look back in time confirms that it is nearly forty years since I was down that way. Often with the scouts, but also with my Dad and his mate Jim fishing the Wirral Anglers water on the Clwyd and Elwy, and hey Chris Packham some of those critters in the cages are more famous than the celebrities. Several of the snakes are represented by their own agents and if a few eels do escape to the countryside, well done old Anguilla, as the Clwyd and Elwy used to be full of the things but since the collapse of the European eel population they are a bit thin on the ground. One week long scout camp on the Clwyd proved particularly productive, and I remember one night when a sea trout angler slowly creeping his way up the far bank in the early hours was startled as he swung his torch across the far bank. The solitude he sought had been broken by twenty odd scouts sitting shoulder to shoulder in the dark on a high bank swinging in eels for introduction to a waiting frying pan. 

 

I’m supposed to be writing end of season reports for bods various, but while we’re on TV. 

 Mortimer & Whitehouse have a Christmas special, 

 And the dancing’s a draw too. 


 Madam and myself used to enjoy a bit of hoofing back in the day and were often the last to leave the floor at some such do or other.

 And at this point I’d just like to put it out there, that I too have won a dancing competition in Blackpool. 

 It’s not something I have ever really talked about but there I said it. With each passing year I find it important to share such information for the ages. 

 Yes I was a champion dancer in Blackpool. 

 It was twenty three years ago and I was in Blackpool for the weekend on a pink ticket with friends. A varied itinerary had been drawn up by the group leader for the two days and Saturday afternoon found us taking in the jelly wrestling at one of the Golden Mile’s premier emporia. 

Michaela McManus v Kendra Nagasaki grappling in jelly for an interminable hour. If memory serves, Michaela took the tie by two submissions. On completion of the gelatinous grappling the band struck up and the dancing commenced.  I threw myself into a variety of shapes on the dance floor and half an hour in received a tap on the shoulder. They were picking out a few dancers to take the stage for a competition, the crowd would judge who was to pick up the prize. 

Emboldened by energy drink (Brown over Bitter) I threw myself into the competition, chucked in a few forward rolls with the occasional handstand, scored well with the crowd and the laurels were mine. 

 Six bottles of Asti Spumante. 



We left the establishment heading for the sea seeking another ship to launch. 

The remainder of the weekend passed with much more incident which is best not discussed here. 

Unexpectedly we found our ship to launch in the Imperial Hotel where an uber rich bunch of tax dodgers from the Isle of Man, who’d hopped over for pegs by helicopter, didn’t take to our impromptu mummery.


 Our rendition of Celine Dion's “My heart will go on” in an abridged adaptation of Titanic, with a mobile cloakroom hanger doubling up as both "ship to launch" and "doomed leviathan". Your correspondent stuck to the prow in the Kate Winslet role as it toured the halls of the Imperial. 

In house reviews were mixed, although in mummery circles it is still considered a ground breaking piece of work. 

 But this was all a long time ago. 

 More river news next week, which will probably centre mostly around saws.




8 comments:

Theresa williams said...

Hello, I am Theresa Williams After being in relationship with Anderson for years, he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him. That was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made a promise that anybody I know that has a relationship problem, I would be of help to such a person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem. His email: {drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com} you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or any other Case.
1) Love Spells
2) solution and cure to all sickness
3) Herbal Cure for any disease/sickness
4) Marriage Spells
5) Pregnancy spell
6) Breakup Spells
7) Death spell
8.) You want to be promoted in your office
9) want to satisfy your lover 
10) Lottery
Contact this great man if you are having any problem for a lasting solution
through {drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com}

James Denison Angling said...

It's looking very nice down there Chris! Must get over to you this winter, if only work would abate long enough to get out for a days fishing.

PS Teresa, please go away :)

The Two Terriers said...


Chris, The life of a Playboy River Keeper. My stretch of comparatively still water was frozen today, that's winter for you. It's also good to hear that Spring Bottom is in rude health. Stay safe, All the best, John

PS While I walked my two terriers this morning a 'V' of Comorants flew over. I counted twenty two of the things.

Test Valley River Keeper said...

Cheers John, no ice on ponds around here yet.

Graculus numbers on the rise around here too, saw six flying through this morning.

Chris

Test Valley River Keeper said...

Hi James, river is in great condition be good to see you and Brian. The few grayling anglers who have visited have caught grayling but have struggled to fish through the enormous triploid trout that arrive each winter having been lumped in the river downstream from here in the summer.

Chris

Test Valley River Keeper said...

Hi Theresa,

Thanks, as ever, for getting in touch.

Is that Anderson in your profile pic? He's not quite what I expected, it's a very contemporary look for a wizard.

It's a long shot I know but does Anderson have some kind of Covid vaccine spell?

Thanks again for getting in touch and look forward to hearing from you again sometime soon.

Chris

Test Valley River Keeper said...

Apologies Theresa, I have just read this through again and realise that Anderson is not a wizard.

Dr Ogondu is the wizard,

Anderson had just had enough.

Any claims that Anderson now makes regarding the supply of some expensive form of Covid Vaccine spell will be discounted.

I will touch base with Dr Ogondu regarding the supply of some form of Abracadabra to save humankind.

Chris

James Denison Angling said...

Yes, Brian and I are always talking about coming back down but the time has yet to arise. We hope its soon!!!

I find the replies to the annoying Teresa amusing, when will it stop.

PS if you do get a discounted rate on a C19 vaccine let me know, I'm sure the NHS could do with a little more capacity.

James.